Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bruce Crouter's Retirement - by Nial O'Hanlon - 2002

The Regina Roadrunners Players Association annual fundraising luncheon at O’Hanlon’s this Thursday will feature special farewells to retiring player Bruce Crouter

The farewell to Crouter, who has the unique distinction of been the leagues oldest player having first played football in 1947. Last year when approached about retirement, Crouter grunted “as long as I am faster than Darryl Luterbach I’ll keep Hacking” To celebrate Bruce’s Birthday on Thursday, I thought I would ask Bruce and a few other Roadrunners what they think about Bruce.

"I'll never change my game. It isn't possible. If I did I would be half the player that I am." B. Crouter

"Bruce Crouter is Damien, the devil incarnate off the film The Omen. He's evil. Even in training." J. Gibbons

  "I hate losing in training, I'm always arguing, having a go at everybody. I take my football very seriously." B. Crouter

  "The type of game I play, I'm going to pick up injuries and suspensions, unfortunately."  B. Crouter

  I don't think he is mentally right". Dick Stinson

"He's a bully, a firkin big-time Charlie". Dick Stinson

"If we played like that every week we wouldn't be so inconsistent."
B. Crouter

"Dick Stinson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."
B. Crouter

"I'm 40 now and I just felt I had to draw the line somewhere. I thought I can't let people say what they want and get away with it..... In my opinion his behaviour towards me has been cowardly."
B. Crouter in regards to my last column  

"0 to 0… well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any mans language…" B. Crouter. Bruce can make sense of any game

"The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related. B. Crouter

"The lad got over-excited when he saw the whites of the goalpost's eyes." Dick Stinson

I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." Bruce Crouter

"I make no apologies for my absence but I'm sorry they're not here."
Bruce Crouter

“As Dick Stinson said, each game is unique, and this one is no different to any other." Bruce Crouter

"Dick is everywhere. It's like we've got eleven Dicks on the field."
Bruce Crouter

There is also talk of why Bruce had to leave Halifax . I am pleased to report with the help of Darryl Luterbach and his vast knowledge of illicit internet sites we have found out the truth. Here is a clip from the Halifax Sun Newspaper

  A footballer has been given a six-month ban after pinching the referee's bottom.  Bruce Crouter is a defender for Whitecaps United. He repeatedly pinched the referee in a bid to make him change his mind over a penalty kick. The incident happened during a seventh division match in Halifax , Darryl Luterbach’s website reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment